Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Streamyx Slowdown
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:53 PM
Streamyx Slowdown
I'm on TMnet's DL 256/UL 128 Kbps package and lately I've noticed that the transfer rate has dropped significantly, more than half of what I'd usually surf with. My currently DL/UL rate is 24KB/9KB.

So I thought it was me pulling a 10m cable into my room that killed the speed, went and tried back the short one again and surprise surprise, no difference. I'll give it another week before I go call up TMNet for an answer.

Who else is getting badak sumbu bandwidth from Streamyx, besides me?

I kill you with chopsticks.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 02:32 PM

Is this really a surprise?

One peek at LowYat.Net's forums will speak volumes about the service that they're providing. I'm not immune to the faults either, though my problems lie more with trying to connect to TMNet after it times me out over and over again, rather than bandwidth. The closest Telekom center in my area is in Kajang, methinks.
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 04:43 PM

For a period of time my terminal is out of the zone of service, but that's just me. Silly telekom.XD But otherwise the speed is stable. Confused

Don't touch me. I'm evil.
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 02:04 AM

Off the top of my head, does a DSL modem that's on its way to an electronic death be the cause of the slowdown? If it's not software problem, it should be hardware related.

There're ways to boost modem performance via settings, does this work? Never did do anything for my old dial-up, don't see how it's gonna improve this piece of waste product.

Fri Feb 04, 2005, 10:08 AM

After a few days having Streamyx, I'm also wondering about the less-than-par up and down speeds. At first I thought it was spyware or some kind of hijack, and spent many stressful hours out hunting for bugs (mostly waiting for the computer to restart)... but even after that, it's still 24K down and around 8K up.

Still checking up Telekom's web places for any sort of notice about this. Personally, though, it's good enough for my current uses (audio streaming, uploading things to the student server, and downloading... er... stuff).

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:27 PM

nightPhaserSpiral Wrote:After a few days having Streamyx, I'm also wondering about the less-than-par up and down speeds. At first I thought it was spyware or some kind of hijack, and spent many stressful hours out hunting for bugs (mostly waiting for the computer to restart)... but even after that, it's still 24K down and around 8K up.

Still checking up Telekom's web places for any sort of notice about this. Personally, though, it's good enough for my current uses (audio streaming, uploading things to the student server, and downloading... er... stuff).

So it would seem I'm not the only one to have suffered this.
Great, first DSL service in Malaysia and 2 years later it's still buggy.

Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:46 PM

loupgarou Wrote:So it would seem I'm not the only one to have suffered this.
Great, first DSL service in Malaysia and 2 years later it's still buggy.

*tongue-in-cheek* Well, it is Malaysian. This market really needs more competition.

Could it be due to localised phone-line quality? A different sort of hardware problem? The solution being moving somewhere else, which I'm personally not privy to. Heh.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 01:05 PM

nightPhaserSpiral Wrote:*tongue-in-cheek* Well, it is Malaysian. This market really needs more competition.

Could it be due to localised phone-line quality? A different sort of hardware problem? The solution being moving somewhere else, which I'm personally not privy to. Heh.

Or, as speculation goes, some of Penang's stations were knocked out during the tsunami and now Telekom is still rerouting and sharing out the already-congested bandwidth until order is restored up north.

Whatever the excuse is, if this keeps up I'm going to have to downgrade my package to the RM66 deal. Dammit, it's taking for-eh-vah to download Bleach ep7.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Streamyx Offer 3mbps nx-3000 2 4,967 Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 AM
Last Post: nx-3000