Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fursona 3 (journal story series)
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:51 PM by nightPhaser.)
Fursona 3 (journal story series)
4th Sept. 2007
It's been a week since I've met them, and we've gone into the tower twice already. Basically, every night something happens to the world that I still can't get my head around, and the only ones who know about it are us. We're also the only ones who have to face the things that come out of the tower.

The things we saw last time looked like living puddles of oil, with black human arms flailing from it, and beady eyes looking through masks floating on its surface. We call them Shadows. Thankfully, maybe in trade for having to deal with these things, we fight back with some sort of force coming from our minds. They've been calling it Persona. I figured, if I'll believe in murderous inkblots, I might as well believe I had something in me capable of tearing them apart.

The first time they took me to the Tower Of Kundalini, I didn't recognise it. Before the clockhand struck 12, it would've been the Petronas Twin Towers. The thing I saw in its place was something else. It looked like two gigantic snakes twisting around each other in a tight braid, with scales that looked like balconies or arches or windows. A funhouse-mirror version of the Towers.

Everything turned into a funhouse-mirror version of themselves during the Hour, really. That doesn't mean that any part of it is particularly "fun", though.

Shuraim isn't joining us on tomorrow's excursion into the Tower. He says it'll get tougher as we make progress, but we'll be fine. I think we left quite an impression on him last time. It's too bad Shuraim gets sick often, he whips through Shadows like butter. I didn't expect that kind of frailty from someone who doesn't even flinch when he uses the Evoker.

Evokers. Kaynine says they adapted it from designs sent to them from the Kirijo Group. He says it used to look like a gun, but that didn't penetrate fur very well, so we ended up with... I guess, exploding collars. The first time using that thing is hard. Every time afterwards, it gets easier, and it's not like we're hurting ourselves with it. Sometimes I think something inside me gets injured whenever I do it, though.

My Persona is this bird with golden feathers. It seems I can freeze the enemy with it. I don't know what it is, or what to call it, but Shuraim promises to find out more about it.

I hear that tomorrow I go in with Dobb and HT. I haven't seen HT in action yet, but Dobb was with me the first night. I had the misfortune of seeing my first Persona come out of Dobb, some kind of terrible black dog that, somehow, causes our foes to just... die.

Kaynine says he'll join us, too, if he can make it. He's awesome. None of the the Shadows seem to be able to defend against one of his abilities. Our second foray into Kundalini was much easier with his Persona's sense abilities.

Kay told me earlier that structures like Kundalini are turning up all over the world. He, Shuraim and Dobb suspect that the Dark Hour exists in many places over the world, despite differing time zones, moving like a dark stripe across the globe and picking up anyone with the potential along the way.

Hm, I suppose I'll have more to write about next time. Classes are light tomorrow. Can't wait to see what HT does.

Characters
Shuraim - (Hanged Man) Bisclavret [Zio,Pierce,Charm]
Kaynine - (Star) Procyon [Megido,???,???]
Dobb - (Death) Barghest [Mudo,???,???]
Delta-HT - (???) ???

Tower Of Kundalini
1st Block - Muladhara

Fusion Spells
Dog's Day Of Summer (Procyon+Barghest) - Restores small amount of HP and SP to all allies.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wed Sep 05, 2007, 07:01 PM
RE: Fursona 3 (journal story series)
Excellent story,Night, as usual, I'm so hooked on Persona 3 right now. Oh the fanboygasm.

And....I'm thinking Andy should have Nekomata as his persona. Big smile

[Image: Persona_Hero_Banner.jpg]
Fri Sep 07, 2007, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:46 AM by nightPhaser.)
7th Sept 2007
I feel asleep in class today. Augh. I used to stay up for hours and not feel tired. Granted, I wasn't beating the crap out of monsters when I stayed up, but still, I thought I knew myself better. Vinodh poked me awake when Ms. Zarina almost passed by me. He and Mei invited me to go to the film festival this weekend, which is a nice change.

Mara was la grande bitch. Again. This time she let a foot out and tripped Mei while she was going to the board. I don't know why Mei never says anything.

Did my homework, and took a nap. Mom and Dad are on extended shifts again, so I had ramen for dinner. The thought of doing stuff with my midnight crew keeps me happy.

I can't put up any video or such so you could see what midnight's like. We haven't been able to record anything, since electronics don't work during Dark Hour. With all the lights out, I thought the city'd be pitch dark, but the Moon... it's always so bright. I suggested using a film camera, but apparently it's still too dark without the flash on. They said the idea's workable, though. Heh.

We were dealing with a nasty Shadow that looked like an old lady in a silver sarong, when I slipped on a blood puddle (not anyone's, I hope) and fell forward. Dobb was pushing me away from the Shadow, when that thing threw a giant fireball at him. I smelled ash. I was lying there, watching him on the ground. Watching him not moving. I thought he was going to die.

Instead of sneaking in a counterattack, HT had his Persona (this slinky, nasty cat) did something and... Dobb got right back up. His clothes were a wreck, and he was shaky, but he growled and did that thing again with the black dog, and the Shadow just... crumbled. Based on HT's count, we went up about 12 floors that night. Means we've covered 28 floors altogether since the beginning.

Kay got in after the Hour passed, was sorry for being late. He took us out for teh tarik or what at a mamak shop. I told him what happened in the tower. He took me to the side for a moment, and made sure I understood that these things happen, and they have contingencies for it, and as long as I can keep up, we're okay. What kind of people were these guys? They could eat dirt anytime up there, but they still keep going, floor after floor. I'm trying my best to be on par. Really.

Oh yeah, yesterday, Shuraim called me over for lunch, and told me a bit about my persona. He thinks it might be one of the bird deities from India, or some form of tengu, but nothing's conclusive yet. He thanked me for giving up time and effort to the group. First time I saw him smile.

Kay and Shuraim will comb the tower over the weekend. Yay, more sleep for me! (I just had a mental image of Shuraim nagging me to study more.)

Characters
Shuraim - (Hanged Man) Bisclavret [Zio,Pierce,Charm]
Kaynine - (Star) Procyon [Megido,???,???]
Dobb - (Death) Barghest [Mudo,???,???]
Delta-HT - (Fortune) Nekomata [Garu,Recarm,???]

Tower Of Kundalini
1st Block - Muladhara

Fusion Spells
Dog's Day Of Summer (Procyon+Barghest) - Restores small amount of HP and SP to all allies.
Bewitched (Nekomata+Barghest) - Medium chance to inflict random status effects on all enemies.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Sun Sep 09, 2007, 11:28 PM (This post was last modified: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:47 PM by Renegade.)
It sounds like an anime. In other words, not my thing, though others probably like it.

Heaven doesn't want me, and hell's afraid I'll take over.

The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.
- Achilles

[Image: BadDayAtOffice.gif]
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 08:13 AM
Renegade Wrote:It sounds like an anime. In other words, not my thing, though others probably like it.

>> If you mean this meta-fanfiction I'm writing, things will get rather interesting over the first few full Moons as the significance of the tower blocks reveals itself.

If you mean the game, they don't tell you much about the story because it's very spoiler-heavy. It looks like typical anime up until when the blood starts spilling, betrayals are revealed, and the costs incurred to the real world pile up. Shin Megami Tensei games also tend to take their occult/mythology references seriously compared to anime.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:01 AM
Excerpts from Q&A session of 2nd Dark Hour Conference, July 2007

Q: Are Evokers harmful?
A: As yet, there is no reason to believe the Evoker can cause serious and permanent harm to the user. An invention of the Nanjo R&D1 group, the Evoker's physical working principle is equivalent to a firm tap on the head. It is the potential in the user that causes a Persona to manifest when this tap is applied at key places on the nervous system, and even then the Evoker is useless outside the Dark Hour. Unless the user is especially weak in physical or mental constitution, no significant harm will come to him/her.

Q: Why is there a dress code for exploration?
A: The dress code is part of a ritualistic system before entering the Towers which increases the effectiveness of Personae. This belief is based on various statistical reports from other SEES cells that correlate ritualism and psychological readiness with battle efficiency. Some SEES cells do not apply ritualism and experience no drop in performance, so SEES administrators may ignore it at their discretion, though it is highly recommended they do not.

Q: How are SEES activites funded?
A: SEES receives funding from various organisations over the world that explore Shadow-related research and development. Amongst our strongest supporters is the Kirijo-Nanjo Group in Japan, though other organisations who are aware of Shadows and the Dark Hour also supply funds, facilities and equipment to global SEES cells. Such funding is properly taxed by respective governments under the guise of research and development, and some Dark Hour technology has seen both civil and military applications.

Q: What are Shadows?
A: Other than being hostile entities emerging from various monoliths during the Dark Hour, there is no conclusive answer to this from the SEES community, as yet. Few viable samples of defeated Shadows are available, since any traces of them disappear along with the Dark Hour. Some have conjectured that they are somehow manifestations of known structures for human psychology, such as the ordering of Tarot Major Arcana for Shadows in Japan. Until we can have significant surviving samples of Shadows, or develop equipment that resist shutdown during the Dark Hour, we will have to contend with data from SEES explorations.

Q: Will the Dark Hour ever be publicly disclosed in the future?
A: It is very unlikely that Dark Hour will be disclosed. Other than the circumstantial evidence which could easily be explained without the Dark Hour, we have no concrete case for proving the existence of the Dark Hour.

Q: What is the status of the planned satellite network?
A: The development of near-earth geosynchronous satellites for use in Tower exploration is making good progress. SEES cells should expect to have basic orbital support capability later this year.

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Mon Sep 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
Quote:It looks like typical anime up until when the blood starts spilling, betrayals are revealed, and the costs incurred to the real world pile up.

Anime also tends to incorporate these elements, depending on what you watch.

The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.
- Achilles

Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: Tue Sep 11, 2007 08:21 AM by nightPhaser.)
Renegade Wrote:Anime also tends to incorporate these elements, depending on what you watch.

>> Okay, okay, fine, don't read/absorb it or whatever. x_x

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:53 PM
Hey, keep it up! Good read Smile

[Image: insouciant3.jpg]
Wed Sep 12, 2007, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: Wed Sep 12, 2007 07:10 PM by Renegade.)
Quote:>> Okay, okay, fine, don't read/absorb it or whatever. x_x

There's nothing wrong with it... it's just that it's not exactly my thing (just like anime is not my thing).

For example: I think D-Grayman is stupid, but alot of people think it's great.

- Achilles

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Poem challenge : Your fursona nightPhaser 11 17,261 Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51 AM
Last Post: Canis Enigmas
  The Short Story of Surroth and Farian gingertom84 0 4,259 Wed Dec 31, 2008 09:30 PM
Last Post: gingertom84
Rolleyes Short Story: "Bounce on Me" Ryuu Majin 0 2,960 Tue May 08, 2007 02:20 PM
Last Post: Ryuu Majin
  New Year's Story: An Evening In Xibalba nightPhaser 5 8,569 Wed Jan 03, 2007 04:17 AM
Last Post: gingertom84
  Fursona Disorder gingertom84 8 10,532 Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:36 AM
Last Post: nightPhaser
  Story inspired by song! Kai Whitewolf 4 7,778 Mon Apr 03, 2006 07:32 PM
Last Post: Krado
  Request: Story gallery/archive site nightPhaser 0 3,039 Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:38 PM
Last Post: nightPhaser