Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what spyware scanner you using?
Mon May 16, 2005, 06:45 PM
what spyware scanner you using?
they are so much out there and i dont know which one is the good one, i mean at least i scan every bit of the stuff that might cos harm to the pc, as for me i'm using 3 spyware scanner.

Microsoft Antispyware
Spyware Doctor
Ad Aware SE

there are still some out there but you know what? let say, i use Spyware Doctor to scan it and it detect nothing then while i use Ad Aware SE it got 2 spyware "DataMiner" & "Buggy". plus the wierd thing is i did try install Webroot Spysweeper then scan again with Spyware Doctor, it detect many spyware from that software :shock:

In brightest day, in blackest night. No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil\'s might. Beware my power, Green Lantern\'s light!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Mon May 16, 2005, 10:13 PM

Best solution for me? Format the computer at least once a year... or for my Windows 98 computer : once every 2 or 3 months :/
Mon May 16, 2005, 10:45 PM

The Dark Jackal Wrote:Best solution for me? Format the computer at least once a year... or for my Windows 98 computer : once every 2 or 3 months :/

that is quite a drastic measure XD

In brightest day, in blackest night. No evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil\'s might. Beware my power, Green Lantern\'s light!
Tue May 17, 2005, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: Tue May 17, 2005 09:11 PM by nightPhaser.)

Edit: When the software firewall fails...

(1) Spyware Doctor
(2) AdAware SE
(3) My own friggin' instincts

Yes, sometimes I go into Condition Orange and start hunting (like a pissed-off animal?) for ".dll"s and stuff using clues from browsers and source files. Sometimes you gotta get in and get dirty.

Microsoft AntiSpyware is still in Beta, isn't it? I stopped using it when it started messing with my normal programs.

The Dark Jackal Wrote:Best solution for me? Format the computer at least once a year... or for my Windows 98 computer : once every 2 or 3 months :/

I can't do that, though. I'm a chronic resetophobe, and getting the smaller backups and settings in order is scarier than Senario attempting drama.

Night-0

[ Proceed calmly. ]
DevianTART
FurAffiTiny
Fumblr
Twerter
Tue May 17, 2005, 07:42 PM

Apparently you all have never heard of a thing called 'standalone firewall'.

I kill you with chopsticks.
Tue May 17, 2005, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: Wed May 18, 2005 10:40 PM by Canis Enigmas.)

DracoWong Wrote:that is quite a drastic measure XD
Drastic ... but the most effective. Besides there is nothing as good as feeling a fresh newly formatted computer (Yeah, I can hear some of you shouting "Nerd!!!" right now LOL! )

nightPhaserSpiral Wrote:(3) My own friggin' instincts
You'd be surprised at what sites where all these spywares and adware comes from. I would not depend on this method any more then I'd depend on Proton's cars.

Quote:Yes, sometimes I go into Condition Orange and start hunting (like a pissed-off animal?) for ".dll"s and stuff using clues from browsers and source files. Sometimes you gotta get in and get dirty.

I can't do that, though. I'm a chronic resetophobe, and getting the smaller backups and settings in order is scarier than
Which is why I keep all my drives partitioned in two. All "My Documents" and Desktop stuffs are set to be stored in the second partition. If you've done as much formatting as I've done, reinstallation and settings becomes second nature like filling up gas for the car.

loupgarou Wrote:Apparently you all have never heard of a thing called 'standalone firewall'.
I do use a firewall, though its Norton Internet Security. Tried using one of those free firewalls but I got really annoyed at its bugging for registration and interface. Still, it may help keep some programs out and from connecting to their "Axis of Evil" but then even it can be compromised once in a while. Nothing beats burning the house down and rebuilding it to get rid of the pests LOL!
Wed May 18, 2005, 06:23 AM

I used to use Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta... until I realised, it wasn't good enough. That, and it could never get rid of this little piece of crap that kept changing the default home page for IE (Firefox wasn't immune to that attack either). And as funny as it is, it only affected the user account my brother was using, not my own password protected one.

Anyway, I have since renounced anything decent from Microsoft which claims to remove spyware and all that gunk. The software was buggy, had a couple of issues with my computer and had this habit of annoying the heck out of me in the middle of a game.

As of now, I've got Lavasoft's Ad-Aware. It's free, but a crippled version of the more powerful Standard version. For anti-virus, I've got my money on Grisoft's AVG Anti-Virus. Again, free and good enough for a home computer. I don't trust Norton or McAfee any more. System resources are mighty important to me.

For more physical items, I've got my router to Discard PING From WAN Side enabled. I tried enabling Static Packet Inspection, but it seems that MSN Messenger version 7.0.0777 has problem accessing via SPI. It hangs. So, temporarily, until the geniu... I mean, software developers at Microsoft figure out a workaround, it stays off.

Hollud. Simply, horse.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Recommend me some Anti-spyware & PC optimization apps! Katsuke 16 26,940 Fri Aug 26, 2011 02:19 PM
Last Post: BlueDragon
  Help me pick a scanner x: lightning64 10 15,412 Wed May 26, 2010 04:16 PM
Last Post: lightning64